Before you get a new pet...
The decision to get a pet for a gift should never be taken lightly. Remember, cats can live up to 20 years, and dogs can live between 10 and 20 years depending on the breed. Considering how much time, money and care pets require, that's quite a commitment. So before you decide to get a pet, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you really want a pet?
- Is anyone in the family allergic to pets? Do you have time for a dog? Or a cat?
- Are you allowed to have a pet in your residence?
- Can you afford to care for a pet, including veterinary expenses?
- Do you have time to train a dog?
- Do you have a yard and enough space in your home for a dog?
- If you don't, will you be able to walk their dog 3 to 4 times daily?
- Do you have a pet-friendly home?
- Are you prepared for the responsibility of pet ownership?